Holding Out for a Hero

             (credit to Bonnie Tyler for the title)

I was flipping thru tv channels desperately trying to find anything worth watching, when I began realizing a disturbing prevalence in almost every story line.

Almost all men, especially in the leading roles, were shown as idiots. Bumbling, stumbling, over-emotional, effeminate. The few that did have any type of masculinity, talked in mono sylable grunts and given apish intelligence and mannerisms. The men are treated with such disrespect, disdain, and ridicule by girlfriends/wives, female coworkers and friends, and even their daughters.

One show, NCIS, did have a strong male lead, but it seems like the team needed a member that was a fool that was constantly derided by the female member and seemed only to accidentally be of help when he was.

Show after show after show, was like this.

We have not been to the movie theaters in a long long time, but I have to assume that this emasculization trend has reached the big screens as well.

I know what you are saying.. it's only tv

Growing up, my brother and I were not allowed to watch much television at all. It was pretty much limited to approved of children's shows and educational shows.

As a teen, I started watching tv downstairs in the basement after i was sure that my mom and dad would be in bed for the night.

Pretty much the only things on then, since we only had basic tv service, was talk shows that I have never been interested in or watched, old movies, and reruns of old tv shows.

Television, also, for me was exposure to men not my dad or my teachers. Handsome men playing the part of cowboys, gangsters, fathers in sitcoms, detectives, and so on and so on.

The memorable, remarkable, and very noticable distinction of men being strong, decisive, intelligent. Men with machismo and of noble character. Men who were in charge of the house and confident and competent in daily affairs.

Like many girls, specially with the inclinations of those reading this site, these old shows and movies became the fuel of all kinds of imaginative scenes and fantasies during budding curiosity and sexual awareness.

I would let my fingers and mind wander to fantasies being under the care and protection of those rugged hard macho cowboys.





Perhaps of the wisdom and guidance of many of the father figures of family shows




A femme fatale to a gruff no nonsense detective


And should I show disrespect or a bit too much sass and willfulness, taken in hand by the assertive strong man that would not hesitate to correct these errors when spanking such young ladies seemed quite the norm




 rather than now spanking being associated with serial killers or women with mental illness.

I feel sorry for girls watching men protrayed as whiny, dumb, helpless, effeminate as they are today since it was watching the real men of older tv and films that made me realize the type of man I want.

Is it just American tv and such that has turned this way or is it the way of European tv as well? Can you think of any shows today that show men as they used to be portrayed? Girls can you remember being influenced and/or fantasizing of the men? Guys did you try to emulate them?

You have read this article with the title Holding Out for a Hero. You can bookmark this page URL http://mayrinhacd.blogspot.com/2013/02/holding-out-for-hero.html. Thanks!
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...